Grasstree is an underground longwall operation. Through a series of business optimisation projects we have recently lifted productivity at Grasstree to deliver world-leading longwall performance. Foxleigh was acquired by Anglo American in 2007 and came under CapFox management in early 2014. Foxleigh produces around 1.8 million tonnes per annum of pulverised coal injection (PCI) coal for the iron and steelmaking industry (2015 annual report figures). Foxleigh and surrounding tenements are the subject of ongoing exploration and feasibility studies, with Anglo American receiving approval for the Foxleigh Plains project in September 2014.
Please note, the sale of Foxleigh to a consortium led by Taurus Fund Management was completed on 29 August 2016, following the announcement of the sale and purchase agreement on 4 April 2016.
Capcoal plays an important role in the township of Middlemount supporting community events and assisting with the provision of important services. In 2008 and 2009, Capcoal completed a $2.6 million upgrade of shopping centre facilities and invested $25 million to upgrade 100 homes.
Capcoal and Foxleigh community complaints form
Capcoal and Foxleigh SEAT Report 2011-2013
Callide mine in Central Queensland is an open-cut operation providing low sulphur, sub-bituminous thermal coal primarily for Queensland’s domestic power generation.
Callide consists of the Southern area of Dunn Creek, Trap Gully and The Hut pits. The fourth pit, Boundary Hill, is located 20 kilometres to the north-east. The mine uses both dragline and truck and shovel methods of overburden removal.
Anglo American is currently working towards securing approval for the Boundary Hill South project which, if approved, will be managed as part of the Callide operation. The existing Boundary Hill South operation has a limited life span with resources expected to be exhausted by 2016. The successful approval and construction of the Boundary Hill South project will allow the mine to continue to provide local employment opportunities for local business and maintain continuous coal supply to our existing customers.
Callide mine maintains a sustainable environment and exceeds the high standards expected by the community and regulators. The mine follows a customised, long-term plan for implementing and monitoring environmental management programmes through its Environmental Management Overview Strategy.
Callide community complaints form
Moranbah North is an underground longwall mine which began operating in 1998.
Moranbah North's hard coking coal is mined from the Goonyella Middle Seam mainly for export to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, India Brazil and Europe.
Moranbah North is 88% owned by Anglo American, with the remaining 12% owned by joint venture partners. The mining operation employs more than 600 people, with Moranbah North estimated to have a mine life of 18 years (2014 Annual Report)
Operating the Moranbah North mine while constructing the Grosvenor longwall project, Anglo American is a major employer in the Moranbah region and as a result we have built a strong presence in the community. We intend to make a positive difference to the local township and we actively contribute to improving services and facilities in the area.
Moranbah North factsheet
Moranbah North community complaints form